I recently went back to Palawan for the third time to explore Coron. I traveled with my boyfriend and we spent 6 days there. We enjoyed every minute of it – despite my sunburn and boyfriend’s allergy attack during the trip 🙂
I am still organizing the photos from our trip so I am not yet able to write our detailed itinerary and experiences, so I’ll start with sharing a summary of our itinerary and expenses. To be honest, I was shocked at how much we spent when I completed the list. Haha! It’s definitely not a low-budget trip. However, I’ll share tips on how to lessen the expenses for a trip to Coron below.
Note: I didn’t include the expenses we incurred when boyfriend went for a check up at the local hospital to get his allergies checked. We bought medicines and an after sun lotion for my sunburn on the same day. We spent a little over a Php 1,000 on those.
Traveling to Coron on a tight budget?
- Consider staying in guesthouses or homestays. While walking around Coron town, I saw several establishments which offer as low as Php 1,000 per night for a double/twin room. I am sure there are cheaper accommodations available which I didn’t see while in Coron or while browsing the internet.
- Eat at canteens or carinderias around town. We saw a row of carinderias near the public market but we never went there to eat. We were always tempted to try the dishes served by the famous/best restaurants in town and we never only order 1 dish even if the serving is enough for 2 people. LOL. This is why we spent so much on food.
- Travel with a large group so you can score discounts when availing the tour packages. I used up a lot of charm to ask for a discount when I was reserving slots for our island tours to no avail 😦 Tour operators will be much more generous when you are with a large group.
- Wait for the now-elusive piso fare from Cebu Pacific so you may have a chance to score round trip tickets to Busuanga for less than a Php 1,000. I booked our tickets while it was on sale but it still hurt. This was the most expensive domestic ticket I bought in all my seat sale-booking years 😦 Boyfriend and I just wanted badly to go to Coron.
- Shorten the days of the trip. I think 4 or 5 days in Coron is enough. I booked for a 6-day trip because we wanted to have a chillax sort of day when we arrive and before we leave.
Hope this helps you 🙂